The benefits of internships are broad and vary between the students, the internship providers, and the department/university. Here are some reasons to embark on an internship today!
- Gain exposure to real-world problems and issues that perhaps are not found in textbooks.
- Cultivate adaptability and creativity in a dynamic world.
- Increase marketability to employers.
- Evaluate specific companies or specific careers prior to committing to full-time employment—a “try before you buy” type of experience.
- Ease the transition from being a student to entering the workforce.
- Increase opportunities within a company for faster advancement and growth.
- Increase self-confidence in the workplace while developing an expanded network of associates and professionals.
- Have résumé-building experiences while applying academic concepts and principles.
- Spread the gospel in many areas through example and lifestyles.
- Have opportunities to fund the college education.
- Have personal growth experiences and exposure to different job opportunities.
- Have hands-on opportunities to work with equipment and technology that may not be available on campus.
- According to interns, students gain the following benefits through academic internships: experience, skill development, perspective, supervision, professional connections, academic credit, earnings and to provide service to others.